The Welcome Home exhibit inaugurates the partnership between the New York State Vietnam Memorial Gallery and the Department of Defense United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration. The main goals of this special Commemoration are:
- To thank and honor veterans of the Vietnam War, including those who were held as prisoners of war or listed as missing in action, for their service and sacrifice on behalf of the United States and to thank and honor the families of these veterans.
- To highlight the service of the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War and the contributions of Federal agencies and governmental and non-governmental organizations that served with, or in support of, the Armed Forces.
- To pay tribute to the contributions made on the home front by the people of the United States during the Vietnam War.
- To highlight the advances in technology, science, and medicine related to military research conducted during the Vietnam War.
- To recognize the contributions and sacrifices made by the allies of the United States during the Vietnam War.
The Commemorative Partner Program is comprised of federal, state, community and veterans organizations which will offer a series of activities and ceremonies to honor Vietnam veterans over the span of the war’s 50th anniversary (1962-1975). More information about the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration can be found at www.vietnamwar50th.com.